Thursday, July 03, 2008

Love

Have you ever met the person who insists that you can't truly understand God and his great love for us until you are a parent? I have. And I have always promised myself I would never be one of those people. I'm still not. Not only do I find the concept ridiculously narrow minded, but unfair and demeaning to those who are following God's leading, either by choice or circumstance, in a different direction. Please note: God speaks to ALL of his children. He loves ALL of his children. He reveals himself to ALL of his children. Bar none.

This being said, these past few weeks I have been repeatedly reminded of a truth I know well and God did use my daughter to bring this truth to the forefront of my mind. God has been pretty clear and it is on my heart to lay this truth in the forefront of the minds of our blog readers as well. If God means this for you, I pray you are blessed by his message...

I love my daughter. I love my daughter without thinking twice. For better or for worse, she has become the center of my world. This makes naptime hard. Really hard. You see, recently she has started crying. Hard. Red from head to toe. Nap time is not a happy time. I thought I had done everything right. I was dilligent about watching for tired signs. I worked hard to have her in bed while drowsy yet still awake. My little girl was going to learn to fall asleep by herself. We were doing well. Until a week or two ago. When the end of the world came.

Don't ask me what changed. I don't know. Don't tell me what changed. I'm not sure I want to know. But the time came for me to let her cry it out. And while she cried, I cried. I hovered outside her door. And prayed. And found myself remembering this one simple truth...

God knows what's best.

He knows what I need and he knows when I need it. He hears me cry out for him to come quickly. He does not turn a deaf ear to my pleas. Rather he sees an end that I cannot fathom and blessings and benefits beyond my scope. Trust. Could he reach in and end my misery? Yes. But... His time is better than mine. And he is closer than I think.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We've been there. It will get better. And you are right, God does know what is best.

Blessings to all of you from Vietnam.

The Cimas

Anonymous said...

Those moments are humbling and, thanks be to God, he will keep sending them your way. Ask me some time about Chuck and I pinning Seth down to pull a splinter out of his foot. He kicked and screamed and even asked for us to take him to the doctor for a shot. Why couldn't he just understand that we knew it was painful in the moment but that we were taking it out because we love him? Why couldn't he just see that we understood the danger of leaving it in? Hmmmm? Why can't I just understand that God can ALWAYS see the bigger picture and that some of the things I kick and scream and throw fits over are just little splinters in His eyes?